WHEN: Wednesday, November 2, 2016, 6:30 PM
WHERE: News and Letters Library, 228 S. Wabash Ave., Room 230, Chicago
News and Letters Committees invites you to a discussion on:
Fascism rising–From Russia to India, From the U.S. to the Philippines
A Black person driving a car in the U.S., walking down the street or even in their own home, knows that if they encounter the police, they can be killed for no other reason than their color and no one will be held accountable. This is fascism just as surely as Jews in Nazi Germany knew that an encounter with a soldier in Hitler’s army could mean death.
• In the Philippines: President Rodrigo Duterte is encouraging police to break into the homes of accused drug dealers, handcuff and beat them, terrorize their families, and execute them.
• Publishers, writers, activists and artists in China are experiencing intensifying attacks by the Communist government under Xi Jinping.
• Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has pushed for an expanded military force and opposes equal rights for women, GLBTQ people, and immigrants.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bharatiya Janata Party aim to eliminate the role of non-Hindu minorities and now Dalits (“Untouchables”) are being flogged for skinning dead cows and Muslims beheaded for eating beef.
• This May, Austria came within a whisker of electing Norbert Hofer of the Freedom Party as president. Far Right, anti-immigrant parties have increased their vote totals across the continent, and hold various offices in France, Hungary, the Netherlands, Greece, Switzerland—all of whom greeted the reactionary “Brexit” vote in the UK with wild enthusiasm.
Speaker: January, anti-nuclear activist, author of “Nuclear waste, traveling to your neighborhood.”
312-431-8242 / email@example.com / www.newsandletters.org